Takehiro Kiriyama: I want my students to become the leading designers of this country

UB Expat Takehiro Kiriyama’s most memorable encounter with the people of Mongolia did not occur here in this country. Takehiro was actually taking intensive Mongolian language lessons as a JICA volunteer candidate in Fukushima, Japan on the day the massive earthquake occurred in March 2011.

Takehiro recalls how, “It was the biggest disaster since World War 2 in Japan. After that, one of the first countries that offered its assistance to Japan from overseas was Mongolia. It left a strong impression on my perception of Mongolia. I always thank Mongolian people for their help.”

And now the people of UB are thanking both Takehiro Kiriyama and The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). This organisation provides countries like Mongolia assistance in a variety of circumstances. JICA is engaged in every phase of development: assisting in peace building in the wake of conflict, helping to immediately rebuild shattered economies and social structures and ensuring the long-term and sustainable development of nations. JICA is also committed to making the Japanese aware of the situation in developing countries and to spreading its experience-based knowledge around the globe.

The first JOCA (Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers) members arrived in Mongolia in April 1992. Since then, more than 350 volunteers have come here to work. In Mongolia the JOCVs work in various fields such as education, health and medical service, local development, environment, broadcasting and energy.

Takehiro arrived in UB over a year ago, but originally hails from Gifu – located in the centre of Japan. He tells me, “It’s a small town surrounded by beautiful mountains. When I was 18 years old, I moved to Tokyo to study at university. It was very interesting back then. I had the good fortune to meet my graphic design teacher, who motivated me to become a graphic designer.”

Eventually this passionate professional decided to change gears and volunteer his expertise. Takehiro’s own father had been a volunteer with JICA decades ago and found it to be a very rewarding experience. Takehiro describes how, “I have always been interested in volunteer activities in developing countries. My father actually told me stories about volunteering for the JICA program when I was a young child.”
Before arriving in Mongolia, Takehiro spent seven years as a successful graphic designer in Tokyo. It was in Japan’s bustling capital city where he developed and refined his professional skills. “I learned almost all the basic principles of graphic design as a professional and I realized that I needed to go on to the next step to develop myself. That was precisely when the JICA program resurfaced in my life.”

Takehiro now lectures at The Rajiv Gandhi Polytechnic College of Production and Art which is located on the north side of UB. This is a vocational education institution which holds courses in fields like graphic design, fashion designing, marketing, electronics, hairdressing and art.

He tells me of his major challenge: “In our graphic design class, there were no computers that we could use for design until I came to the school. This was because the budget of the school was very limited. It was a serious problem for my graphic design class. Almost all graphic design studios around the world already have computers. Employers always demand applicants have enough skills to use design programs. It would have been extremely difficult for students who did not have computer skills to find a job after graduating….so I managed to convince JICA to provide several computers for our class. Our students now study design with all the necessary equipment and software.”

And what does this passionate teacher think of his Mongolian students? Takehiro describes how, “Some students are really smart and study hard, but some other students are more laid back, just like in any other country. However, almost all students are kind and friendly. I want my students to become the leading designers of this country. Actually, I think that there is a big market in the graphic design field for young graduates. We all know that Mongolia is the fastest growing economy in the world. The opportunities for my students are endless.”

Q&A Time:

-Describe your first visit to Mongolia

-My first visit was during winter. I arrived at night. It smelled like smoke and it was extremely cold.

-What is the best thing about living in Mongolia?

-The people. Mongolians are always kind to me and help me whenever I need assistance.

-How has UB changed since your fist visit?

-The number of buildings is always increasing. You cannot walk outside without seeing a construction site in UB.

-Describe a perfect weekend in Mongolia.

-Hiking is very nice. Clean air, beautiful landscape and good guys!

-What’s your advice to UB newcomers?

-Beware of traffic accidents. The situation is a little bit chaotic…

-Is there anything you can’t live without in UB?

-I can’t live without tolerance and empathy. For example – Japanese people are very punctual, but generally Mongolians are not. However, we should not complain or be too fussy about small issues like this. I think that is the best way to avoid trouble. I really agree with the statement, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.” Now of course I am sometimes late too!

-Have you managed to learn any Mongolian?

-Yes, all JICA volunteers study Mongolian for 2 months intensively in Japan and for 1 month in UB. I currently teach my classes in Mongolian. In fact, Mongolian grammar is similar to Japanese grammar. It’s very interesting.

-What’s your favourite UB restaurant/s?

-Bangkok (Thai), Veranda (Italian), Aura (Mongolian) and our school cafeteria (Mongolian).

-What’s your favourite pastime or something you like to do to relax?

-Running, reading and talking with my friends in a comfortable café.

-Picture Ulaanbaatar 20 years from now and tell me what you see.

-The gap between the rich and the poor is smaller than now, I hope.

-What is your favourite Mongolian food?

-Hushuur (fried meet dumpling) is my favourite.

-What music do you listen to when you are stuck in UB traffic?

-I don’t drive, instead I always walk. Listening to music is dangerous when walking across any streets in UB.

-Who inspires you?

-A Mongolian graphic designer named Sodoo, who happens to be one of the best designers in UB. He and his work always inspire me.

-What was the last book you read?

-“Crime and Punishment” by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

-Do you have a favourite quote or motto to live by?

-”Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” – Mark Twain
As a teacher, this important for me to remember.

-If you could have dinner with 5 people who would they be?

-Sorry, I have no idea…

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=1534

Comments

Popular posts from this blog